Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Frida Kahlo

Today is a day that I feel like sharing about other artists, so I would like to continue on and talk about Frida Kahlo. A woman too, Frida Kahlo is a mexican painter best known for her self portraits.Her work has also been celebrated in Mexico as emblematic of national and indigenous tradition, and by feminists for its uncompromising depiction of the female experience and form. Kahlo is one of my favorite artists, because she is not afraid to be bold and courageous enough to stand up for female artists like us. Frida is a brilliant artist who has created at least 200 artworks related to her life, environment and physical pain she has suffered. Indeed, she had a troubled childhood and was not a very fortunate person. Nevertheless, she still managed to pull through and express herself through art, which is what I admire greatly. This is a self portrait:
As Frida states, she likes to paint herself because only she herself knows herslef best. Her original quote, "I paint myself because I am so often alone and because I am the subject I know best." She also stated, "I was born a bitch. I was born a painter." This shows how strong and confident she is and I admire her for this. Like me, she believes art is a brilliant tool for expression, and sometimes a way to escape from my problems and fears, or simply just let out my emotions. I can relate to Frida very well, and find that we are very much alike.. maybe she should be my BFF instead ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment